Saturday, November 1, 2008

Tricks & Treats

Or how to get a 2 year old to wear her Halloween costume.

I have to tell you, getting Laney into her costume has been touch & go. I decided that she would go as a princess after thinking about the various characters she likes - Elmo would have been too hot, Minnie Mouse would have required store bought ears, you get the idea. And I asked, many times, Cinderella or Sleeping Beauty. She picked Sleeping Beauty repeatedly. I bought blue fabric, because the girl wore the blue dress for most of the movie, and if Laney suddenly changed her mind I could tell her it was Cinderella.

As I mentioned in the previous post, she refused to put it on at Zoo Boo. The next day I really wanted to take her picture in at a pumpkin patch. Our church didn't have ours this year, but the bridle club down the street did. So armed with a baggie of candy corn for bribery, off Elena, my mom & I went to the pumpkin patch. She refused to take of her shirt, but did eventually allow me to pull the dress on over her clothes. After I gave her the candy corn.
Checking out the minature horses at the bridle club:
With my mom (note the jeans sticking out of Laney's skirt):

Cut to Thursday. Kat was invited to Trick or Treat with a friend & I wanted pics of the girls together, so we took them a day early. Getting the costume on this time involved me wearing it first (I am so glad no was around to take MY picture!) And the promise of playing outside. And possibly a cookie.

Onwards to Friday morning. Elena was asked to wear her costume to school. They were going to Trick or Treat at the other classes at 9:15 & then change clothes. I convinced her in to the dress with yet another bribe, the joy of wearing church shoes to school. She tried to take the costume off before we left the house, but I got back on. She made it about 10 minutes at school before she was tugging it off again. Hoo-boy! Her teacher was changing her clothes when I left. There was a note on her take home sheet that she did put it back on, over her clothes again.
Friday night was the easiest. The ultimatum. No costume = No trick or treat = No candy. Problem solved. Costume on. Trick or treat accomplished. Here she is enjoying a hard fought bag of M&Ms.

Hope you had a less frustrating Halloween!

3 comments:

Katy S. said...

Sorry to hear about all the trouble but at least it worked out on the big day!!

Tara said...

I so wish I could sew. Laney's costume was very cute and glad she finally wore it, as it was supposed to be.

Melanie said...

Oh the joy of a toddler!! But she was a very, very cute Sleeping Beauty. I am very jealous that you made her costume too!