Monday, May 24, 2010

Wouldn't you know . . .

It would take things going to you-know-where in a hand basket to get me to put up 2 posts in 2 days.

I believe the term for folks like us is "displaced". I think that's what they called people after the hurricanes.

I had a case of the "Mondays". We had trouble getting out of our friend's house and I had to drop the dog at our house so I was 20 minutes late to work. I had been there about a half hour when Kat called from the school nurse. I left work to pick her up. On the way to the school I drove by the house to see if the power was on. No go. Take Kat to the doctor, get her the gooood drugs and run back by the house. Still no power. We impose on my friend again and go to her house to plug in the laptop and veg to some BBC America and get the dog some AC. At 3:00 we head back over to the house dog in tow- surely the power's on by now. No go. So I call the power broker.

First, I get told they have no record of an order to turn power back on. Then after I attempt to tear the guy a new one, he puts me on hold and discovers that the actual power company had been out but our meter's broken so they can't turn the power on. I call the actual power provider (our local electricity system is MESSED up!) and sure enough the box our meter is sitting in is broken (not the meter itself - that would be their responsibility) and we have to have it fixed before we can get power back.

I cry for a little while. Call an electrician who hops to and comes over. He is super nice & apologizes constantly while telling me the repair is gonna cost $2500 and take 2 to 3 days. We take the dog to be boarded at the vet's and go back to the friends house and start to try to find a hotel. We're staying with her one more night, but we already stink like fish and it's time to go. We're headed to a hotel room - discount arranged by my MIL - tomorrow for the remainder.

Still no word on when we're going to close on this house.

4 comments:

A.M. said...

Home stretch at least... even though it's a doozy of one! You can make it.

Tara said...

I hope things turn around for you all soon!

Katy S. said...

Happy to see a new post. Not so happy for all the bumps, no mountains, in the road. I know there are not so many bright points but there so close to you. I wish I could be there to help you out. I will make some extra prayers your way. I love you!

Chris said...

What a mess! Good luck with the house and getting in. I envy your patience with all of that!
Thanks for your comments on my blog. At least I know I still have readers!