Monday, September 17, 2007

Geeks & God

Our summer break is over, and Rob and I back to teaching Sunday School. We've got a new team teacher, Matt (of mobius strip fame) and the kids are in trouble. We've started up a River's Edge curriculum called "Kaboom! - Discovering Who God Is" Rob and I have taught it before and it is soooooo cool. The idea behind it using simple science experiments as analogies for the aspects of God. It's only downside is sometimes the kids get so busy having fun, they forget the analogy, so we spend a lot of time asking, "Now why did we make slime? How is an exploding 2 liter like God's love?" That and Rob, Matt and I are having such a blast that the kids get a bit bewildered at times.Matt as Dr. Beeker, our brillant host.

God's love fills us in the same way that the gas created by the reaction of warm water, yeast and sugar filled this balloon.

This is what happens when you mix half a box a Mentos with Diet Soda.

This is what happens when you give a die-hard fisherman a pole. He decides to see if anything is biting on Mentos today.

And the reason for the exploding soda - besides an amazing first week that's got the kids begging to come back - Nobody can love us as much as God. When He bestows his love on us, we overflow with love, like the foam overflows out of the soda.

We also learned about King David and how as a shepard boy he provided for his sheep, just as God provides for us. We ended up with slime. That was a trip. It really separated the girls from the boys if you know what I mean. Why slime? Because God's loves moves through us and fills us as slime fills every crevice of its container. Is this cool or what?

I leave you with this week's memory verse - "Let us love one another, for love comes from God." 1 John 4:7

5 comments:

Tara said...

That's great that you and Rob are teaching Sunday School and having a great time.

Katy S. said...

Move over Mr. Wizzard. WOW I wish sunday school was that fun when I was a kid. Yea for you both teaching!

Melanie said...

I just took a break from teaching Sunday School a month ago. I had been teaching 4-5 for 3 years, but we never exploded anything. But that leasson plan sounds great. I am all about whatever gets the interested and HOOKED! Sounds like you guys are doing great!

MBKimmy said...

Fun teachers are a great thing in Sunday School - fun was something I never had in church!

River's Edge said...

LOVE THE PICTURES! I'm the author of this curriculum and you gave me a huge blessing to read about how you used it. Sounds like you did a great job with it!