Thursday, September 11, 2008

Don't Panic

We interrupted this day of rememberance to invite a cat 3 or 4 hurricane to town.
I want to paint this in LARGE FRIENDLY LETTERS on the plywood currently covering my windows.






Hurricane Ike is pointed at our neck of the woods. We're well out of the storm surge and miles from the coast, so we decided to stay put. We're still facing massive winds and the other side effects.


Rob & I (mostly Rob) boarded up our windows with the nifty pre-cut boards & clips that he & my dad prepared last year. We've got canned goods, a bath tub full of water, a freezer full of Ziploc containers full of water, batteries and a bedroom full of the outdoor toys (lest they become projectiles).


I won't kid you, I'm nervous. Especially about how Elena & Rory are going to handle this. One of my co-worker's parents weathered Dolly & told me not so nice stories about it today. But I still think we made the right decision. I am watching the news and the routes out of town are packed & they haven't started the contra-flow yet. There's a gas shortage as well. Further, I think I'd rather be here in the place we're all comfortable with our stuff & if we have electricity, our movies & computers, etc. than on the road for hours & hours trying to get to Dallas (or Valdosta - we really appreciate the offer, Katy) The weatherman I like keeps saying "run from the water, hide from the wind". Here's hoping . . .


Keep us in your thoughts & prayers blogger buddies.

3 comments:

Katy S. said...

We still hope you all are hanging in there family. Love!!!

Tara said...

I hope everything is good there. You all are in our thoughts and prayers!

Melanie said...

Oh my goodness, I am just now catching up on all the blogs.....I hope that you guys are ok and that you weathered the storm (no pun intended) with no damage.