Sunday, March 18, 2007

Hello from Cowtown!

Which is actually Fort Worth, but hey, it's rodeo time down here! Yesterday we went out to the Livestock show and Rodeo. We didn't see the rodeo, for many reasons (a) expensive (b) long and (c) the tickets include the cost of concert, which yesterday was Brooks & Dunn and Rob is none too fond of country music. Elena pets a bunny at the Agriculture exhibit. Some of the highschool kids that entered their rabbits in the competition will sit with them and let the visitors pet them. They all did real well, considering that Elena doesn't really pet, she pulls fur.
Kathryn gets up close and personal with Elsie the Cow at the Borden display. Amoungst the new facts learned yesterday, their has been a Elsie the Cow travelling the U.S. making appearances since 1939!
We caught the pig races. (Nascar sign, just for you Tara) They seemed to be fixed, pig #3 won everytime, whether it was Brittney Spareribs, Yao Pig or Hillary RodHAM.
Laney is styling in Mommy's sunglasses. It was a beautiful sunny day and some of us even got a little too much sun. It has been way too gray in these parts to remember what sunscreen is for! We may not be Cowtown, but we are Space City. This is from the NASA exhibit.
Laney and Kathryn at the Bandera, Texas booth. Cute little cowgirls ain't they?

Elena pets a Llama in one of the 3 petting zoos and some girl whose Momma didn't raise her right jumps into my picture. She'll get cut out when I develop these pictures!


My happy cowboy and girls. They're happy because we're going to go get funnel cake and then go home. We were tired!

And on a side note from that, I learned something this week about Laney and these big days. She doesn't sleep well after them! Last night she needed to eat twice, at midnight and 3:30, normally she makes it from 9 PM to 6 AM. For the near future, all outings will be in the morning with wind down time allowed in the afternoon. It's gonna be a while before we go anywhere, anyways. I have to work next Saturday, or I will lose my mind, and Elena and Dad have a big day of computer gaming and Quentin Tarantino films planned. Then Kat may have UIL competition on the following Saturday, if she doesn't we're going to watch movies and the most exciting thing we'll do is mow the lawn. We are going to my parents for Easter and we'll see how Elena's first stay away from home goes. I fully expect some sleep problems, but getting to see where Mama Janie and Daddy Ron live will be worth it. That and it is a trial run for a much bigger trip in June - Aunt Katy & Uncle Derrick, Uncle Mike & Aunt Tara, Granddaddy & Nana Jackie, and Great-Grandma, here we come!

4 comments:

Katy S. said...

I thought Houston had the super big Rodeo? Brooks and Dunn, you passed on Brooks and Dunn? I have found myself falling into more and more love with country music with Derrick around. I don't have to worry about "Smack That" and other R rated song lyrics. Once again you all sound like you have had a super fun and educational weekend.

Heather said...

It is a super big rodeo and I didn't pass on Brooks & Dunn, but my boy would've. Not to mention, it is hard to get rodeo concert tickets.

Tara said...

Great pictures! Evan doesn't do well after traveling either. His eating and sleeping are sporatic anytime we travel over an hour. I'm tired of traveling with him for that reason, so I'm glad we get a break for a few weeks.

I wish Mike would listen to country. I hardly get to listen to it unless I'm alone in the car.

Unknown said...

Good move on not going into the 'big rodeo.' About 75% of the cool stuff is outside anyway.... But then country music makes my brain bleed....