Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Prayer Works

Pardon me as I step up on my honey coated nutbar soap box (that's a Studio 60 term for Christian, I wear my honey coating with pride, thanks.) Oh and I apologize for referencing streets that most of you have no clue about, but it's easier this way.

I had the commute from you know where today. I left the house at 20 til 7, thinking I could drop the baby at day care and get into work 20 minutes or so earlier. Then it takes me 20 minutes to go as far as I got in 7 yesterday, and I know it's not good. Turns out there was an accident on Wirt Rd causing back up to Greenhouse, about 15 miles away. So I exit and take a back road, forgetting that Memorial Drive is the most winding road that does climb a mountain. I got to the daycare about the time I'm supposed to get to work normally. I hurry through the drop off and head for work.

There's construction on Chimney Rock and I know this, so I am slowly down, preparing for the merge from two lane to one when a LARGE black pickup starts flashing its lights at me. At first, I think, no way this is trick of the sun. Nope, he does it again. Then he blares his horn. So I stick my Saturn into a hole in traffic about 2 feet bigger than me and let buddy boy go blaring on up (I swear he hit the accelerator and was going about 50 on a 30 MPH street) to the construction barrels 50 feet up where he has to come to a screeching halt. Small amount of justice. The bitter part of me wishes that some nice soul hadn't let him in. But the schmuck and I ended up at all the same red lights until he turned off. Hope that extra 10 seconds helped him out.

So back to the title. I know that this kind of a morning is not going to help my day. I was already expecting it to be hard. We are swamped at work, the entire department. So even little old part time me has way too many cases. I've been doing okay, but this week I started to panic. Clients and attorneys are getting impatient, which is fair, you should expect your paperwork to get done quickly. But it's hard when you've got about twice work as much as normal. Thus the getting up at beastly hours and trying to squeeze in a little OT. This is not making Laney's Mommy happy. So here I am driving down Chimney Rock praying - "help me let this go, please, let me have a good productive day. " And I did. Finally, work got done, I didn't feel like more was coming in than going out. I needed that.

I also need that day off I am taking on Monday. I am taking the girls to the zoo. If all goes well, my brother and Laney's buddy, Andrew and his older brother, Scott will join us. Sounds fabulous.

No comments: