Monday, May 28, 2007

Memorial Day

First of all I would like to say a sincere and hearty thanks to all of the men and women who have given their lives for our country - so that we have the freedom to take the day off, barbecue in our back yards, and live free. And to those still serving, you are in my prayers. Not as often as you should be, but you are there and I pray you come home safe and soon.

On to the fun and photos. We've had a quiet &wet weekend of shopping, friends, and church. Not much was photo worthy, but nice all the same. This morning, Elena and I got up and played for a while before getting Daddy up. She played with her new ball that I bought her at the grocery store. Elena has entered a new phase - not one I am particulary thrilled with, either. She is now into everything at the grocery store - grabbing stuff out of my hand, out of the cart and off the shelves. This ball gave me about 30 minutes of peaceful shopping, before she decided the lunchmeat was more fun. And it's been more fun at home. Maybe I'll take it back with us next week.
This one is for Aunt Katy and anyone else to who's asked if Elena is ever not happy. The answer is yes. But she is also in general a ham - if she sees a camera, she stops and smiles. Unless she is in a true temper tamtrum, like this morning. A couple of friends were asking me last night if she was ever upset. So I decided to snap a pic. Sorry, Laney. (The cause of the temper tantrum - I handed her to her father so I could get dressed. Yup, big mean mommy. I love this parental preference phase.)
All was better once I was wearing pants and picked her up so I get her some breakfast. Then we headed off to visit with my aunt and my cousin Carolyn. My aunt, Belle, hadn't seen Elena since she was about 3 weeks old and it had been a week for Carolyn, so they had a blast. Elena took it upon herself to prove how un-baby proofed Belle's house is. She took all of the magazines out of the coffee table and if it was within reach and breakable, she went for it. She also expressed her first interest in a electrical plug. Time to get out the plug covers . . .
Playing with cousin Caroline.
Elena and Great Aunt Belle.

Well, tonight is about a quiet dinner and maybe actually watch one of the 3 movies we rented on Saturday.

5 comments:

Melanie said...

Hi. Thanks for visiting my blog and the comment. Laney is such a cutie and boy can I ever relate to people thinking that your child is never unhappy. People say all the time does she ever NOT smile. OH, trust me, there are many times when my little one doesn't smile!

Anonymous said...

The grocery store visits may get worse, i must warn you! hehe. seriosuly, i remember when joe started being able to grab stuff-made the shopping trips very difficult! cute pictures! glad y'all had a great weekend!

Katy S. said...

OMG you cut her hair. I warned Derrick that Laney was ready pull his hair. I then taught him how to get a good handful, ok he figured that out on his own. Anyway cute picks yet again. She looks so sad in the jail, oops I mean crib picture.

Heather said...

Actually, this was her second hair cut. She's had her bangs trimmed twice, this time I paid for it. Last time Kathryn's mom did us a favor.

Tara said...

Awww a sad picture. She still looks adorable.