Monday, May 14, 2007

My first mother's day

Yesterday was my first Mother's Day. I've had a few step-Mother's days, but this was different.


We actually started Mother's Day last week. I've wanted to go to the "The Masterpieces of French Painting from The Metropolitan Museum of Art: 1800-1920" at the Museum of Fine Arts since I saw it on a billboard. I love the opportunity to see the paintings I studied in school in real life. Well, ladies, ask and you shall receive. Last Sunday after church we drove to the museum. Little did I know how popular this exhibit would be. Turns out our museum was the only U.S. museum getting the exhibit! We didn't buy online tickets (dumb!) so after spending 20 minutes looking for parking, we find out the exhibit is sold out, except for some VIP tickets. Those were a bit steep pricewise, so we're standing off to the side debating what to do when we were offered a ticket free. We decided after that we'd spring for 2 VIP tickets. Well, the nice guy checking us out keyed in his membership info and we got our tickets for member prices.

The exhibit was great. Laney was relatively well behaved - she got a little restless, but was otherwise good. I think Rob and Kathryn enjoyed it as well. It was nice to get a little Mother's Day treat with both my girls. (Kathryn spends the actual Mother's Day with her mom)
Laney models her MFAH entry sticker. She really didn't think we should wear ours - every time we'd hold her at the museum she'd try to take ours off.



On Friday, Rob picked Laney up from day care and brought me this:

Hand made by the little punkin, with lots of help from her teachers.

Saturday - free babysitting and Spiderman 3! Good movie, but don't spend the money if your not a HUGE Spidey fan. Wait for the DVD.

Sunday we went to church. Elena finally got to wear the dress I brought for Easter. There was a wonderful altar call for Mothers and the youth group gave us carnations.
We came home and Elena gave me the best Mother's Day gift ever - she took a long nap so I could too! We went out for Mexican food and groceries afterwards, then had a quiet afternoon at home.

I got some wonderful cards from the hubby, Elena, my parents, Katy and Rob's dad and stepmother. It was so nice, and they will be in the scrapbook!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh, man! that mom's day craft laney brought home is awesome! the preschool teacher in me is going to remember that for next year! glad you had a great Mother's Day, Heather!

Katy S. said...

I am so happy you got to see to see the exhibit especially on mothers say. And another Laney original piece to add to your collection. How great was that? Yea! You look super good!

Chris said...

That is awesome that you ended up getting in to the exhibit and how it all worked out. SCORE! Very cute artwork from Laney! My daycare did a card but it was no where near that cute. It did have a hand and foot print inside though. That part was cool!

Tara said...

Sorry we slacked on the card! Great artwork from Laney! I'd love to see that exhibit.