Monday, October 1, 2007

Finally!

Here's the back story, for my birthday I wanted a new bike. My old bike was just that - OLD. We're talkin 16+ years old. I bought it with baby sitting money and rode it in highschool and college and occasionally after I moved here, but it, like me was sadly out of shape. And while I can't buy a new body at Target, I can get a new bike. I digress.

But there's been some delay. We bought Elena a trailer & helmet we found on clearance the weekend after my birthday, but we were waiting for my parents to get here so they can participate in the whole shopping experience, but Labor Day weekend was too busy. So Rob and I went the following weekend. We loaded up my old bike and the one that Kathryn had outgrown and tried to give them to a local sporting goods store who refurbishes bikes for disadvantaged kids. They were in the process of moving the store, so they couldn't take them, so we had a full bike rack and no bike to take home. The next day we were able to pick up the new bike after church. Here's a visual for you - me riding my new bike in the parking lot in my church clothes! It was silly and fun.

No time to ride that day, so we waited for the next weekend. Friday night, we go out to the garage to air up the tires and make sure we understood how to set up and attach the bike trailer for Elena. Rob airs up the tires and comes to help me with the trailer. While we're working on the trailer, we hear a lovely pop - hiss and Rob's tire is Dead Jim. We buy a new tire and tube the next day but once again life has other plans and we don't get it installed. Fast forward to two weeks later and Rob installs the tire and tube on Friday night and finally set out around the neighborhood on Saturday.
Here's Elena checking out my new bike.
Hanging out in her trailer, with her own personal brain bucket.
Off we go. We made three laps around the blocks - two with Rob pulling the trailer, one with me. Man that thing is cool, you barely feel it. To the point that I kept turning around to make sure I hadn't left her behind somewhere. So here's hoping we get our (and my parent's) money worth out of the new bike, trailer and tire & tube.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That bike is awesome, Heather! Hope you enjoy it. Love the thing in the back for Laney. I'd be cruisin' all over town in that if i had one! Happy Trails, G!

MBKimmy said...

the bike and the trailer are awesome ... we need one of those too ... Tatum is much too small right now but I am sure she iwll be good to go next year! Love it! Happy Biking!

Chris said...

That's really cool. I've been on my hubby about a bike for me. He has one but I don't. I like the trailer thing for Laney too. I like that idea much better than her on the bike with me. I would be too worried about a wipe out.

Kimmie Kay said...

Happy Birthday and congrats on the new bike! Very cool and Laney looks like she's having fun too. I got my bike a year ago at Target myself...wish I cold have bought a new body there too, ha ha!